Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 01-14-2023, 02:25 AM   #1

Default Roof Coating

We were (possibly) one of the few to go camping in Southern California this past week.
California is getting drenched and flooded just about everywhere. It rained cats & dogs on the 2nd to last day we camped; also very cold and windy, call us crazy...LOL, but we braved it!!
Our Hi-Lo Classic seems to have held up pretty well for an old girl her age, (almost 34 yrs old).
Anyway, surprisingly we had no major leaks from all the rainfall except for a little dampness around the large roof emergency escape hatch. I think a good coating or two of Roof Sealant may take care of this. Can anyone suggest a good product I can brush and roll on the roof that is budget friendly? It is a Metal roof (possibly aluminum) and it does not appear to have any type of coating for protection against the elements. Thank you all.

Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 08:38 AM   #2
Site Team

If it's a large area, elastomeric paint will work well. You might consider using EternaBond tape around the hatch first, to cover any openings. I think I'd remove any old caulk before using either of these products though. You could also replace that caulk with Lexel caulk if you wished.

- Jack

Old 01-14-2023, 05:12 PM   #3

Ok thanks Jack, I will purchase some elastomeric paint and apply it to the entire roof.

There are some areas that I used EternaBond tape, can I paint over that tape?
Will the Elastomeric paint stick to it? or do I have to remove it?
I put that EternaBond tape about 2-3 years ago and its holding up ok, it still looks good.

Thanks again,

Angel.
Old 01-15-2023, 01:33 AM   #4

Default Roof coating

Check on the internet for the best price on aluminum roof coating. I would use dicor caulk as it is self leveling. Pull p a utube on roof coating. Tape off where the roof meets the body of the trailer. I used blue painters tape. Aft5er you have followed the direction for application of the roof coating pull the tape off while the coating is wet. You may find it useful to look up externabond tape on the internet. Utube is your friend. Because your HiLo is 34yrs. old i would take out the windows and reseal with butyl tape and use Lexel caulk on the exterior. Maybe you have already done the window reseal. Prayers for all in California.
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:04 PM   #5
Site Team

As far as I know, elastomeric paint works well over EternaBond tape. If the tape is in sound condition, I'd just clean it and the rest of the roof with any product that removes dirt and possibly, grease. I've used elastomeric paint on house roofs, cloth awnings, and I've even painted my deck joists, supports and so on with it. I find it weathers very well and is waterproof when cured.

I've taped edges as Usagi suggested and that works very well too. I've never used Dicor, but haven't needed to since I smooth out any caulk I use before it cures. I've found Lexel to be exceptionally good and long lasting.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:25 PM   #6

Default roof seal

When we restored our hilo with rubber roof a guy that worked with sealing roofs on tractor trailers= just the trailers he used this product called Seal Gap and he explained that it bits in and seals and with the rubber roof you could see that real easy as it kind of crinkled it but anyway no leaks with that and I liked the way it sealed I did any place on the roof that had that self level sealer and the problem with the self level is it will crack and have to redo it and check each year. It has only been on our camper for a year and so far ok. Amazon has it at this link.
https://www.amazon.com/Seal-Gap-Seal.../dp/B001YB33TO
Lwwilltravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:58 PM   #7

Thanks Lwwilltravel, I will look into the Seal Gap product you suggested.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:23 PM   #8
Site Team

Angel, you said your roof is aluminum, not rubber. I would NOT use any product designed for rubber roofs on an aluminum one.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:47 PM   #9

Ah OK, thanks Jack,

Yes my roof is aluminum, I will scratch that product off my material search.
Old 01-20-2023, 04:51 AM   #10

We used Kool Seal to coat our roof. I believe they have a metal and a rubber formula. We followed can preparation instructions and were pleased with the results.
Elaine and Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:16 AM   #11

This product on the link I posted says for seems in highway trailers. The guy that sold it to me used it for over the road tractor trailers which is metal roof on the trailers that he used it on.
On the can it also shows gutter seal aluminum.
I was very hesitant to use it on our rubber roof but being tired of cracks in the self leveling I am using it and attached is some pictures of it.
I am not a finish person as the pictures will show that so if you are better than it may look better.
If you do not want to use on the rubber roof it because of being gray and not white was another reason I was hesitant.
You can see on the rubber roof how it bits in and kind of crinkles it but it sealed it very well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIC_0482.jpg (134.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_0488.jpg (129.6 KB, 7 views)
Lwwilltravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:34 AM   #12

Default Roof Coating

Thanks Lwwilltravel, I have a metal roof and I have ordered and received a 5 Gallon can of an elastomeric roof coating that says its made for metal roofs. I'm waiting for some warmer weather days to apply a couple of coats on it.