Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-11-2022, 07:24 PM   #1

Default Traveling long distance in '72 Hi-Lo

Greetings,
I am preparing to travel through several states with my '72 Hi-Lo. What are some things I need to do to get my Hi-Lo long distance travel ready? Getting wheel-bearings repacked is already on my list as well as greasing the cables.
Thank you

nissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:11 PM   #2
Site Team

What is the age of the tires? You should get new ones after about 5 years of use, regardless of the tread remaining.

I strongly recommend a good TPMS for your trailer that will alert you to an impending blowout by giving you warnings should your tire pressure or temperature go too high or low. My sig shows what I have.

You need basic tools - wrenches to fit the nuts and bolts in the hitch portion and screwdrivers. I have a roll of duct tape. I also carry a multimeter to help diagnose electrical problems. Have the proper assortment of spare fuses.

Even though I have a 300 Watt solar panel setup on my roof to keep the batteries charged, I also take a 1000 Watt Honda generator and 2 gals of gas for it.

- Jack

Old 05-12-2022, 08:18 AM   #3

Default Prep for long trip

Lube your door lock. Also lube your dump valves. I carry a can of silicone spray to do your exterior guide track. Extra light bulbs and a good assortment of screw drivers. One with a square tip. Call your credit card co. and let them know you will be traveling. Look under the HiLo and tie up any dangling brake lines ect. Have a good spare tire and a compresser..tire gague. DH always packs his socket set.
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:08 AM   #4

Thank you! Tires are 3 years old. I am planning on bringing a gen for my portable ac/dehumidifier unit. I also have solar that I use to recharge the battery. Was wondering if I should bring a batter charging station just in case??? I do have jumper cables that would suffice. I didn't think about purchasing a TPMS but that is a brilliant idea. Thank you
Old 05-13-2022, 06:10 AM   #5

Bring lube along is something I didn't think of. Thank you. I also didn't think about calling my credit card company either, another good idea. Thank you