Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 05-11-2022, 03:13 PM   #1

Default How do I raise?

My battery is dead, the 1990 Hilo 229L is lowered and I dont have access to the door to the battery because its lowered.😐

How can I raise the hilo up? Can I plug it in and raise it?
Is there a way to manually raise it?

Help.😐

Raymel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Hello, Ray - I moved your post to its own thread in the appropriate section because I think you'll get more help here.

Can you plug the trailer into shore power? That may be enough to charge the battery if you leave it that way for 24 hours before you try to raise it again. It will not raise on shore power alone - the battery needs to be charged to provide the needed Amperage.

If not, do you have the manual lift option? You should be able to get to that feature even with the top down.

If you can get the top high enough to open the battery compartment, you can attach jumper cables to the HiLo battery from a good battery to raise the top completely.

- Jack

Old 05-12-2022, 08:41 PM   #3

Does plugging it in to shore charge the battery?
Old 05-12-2022, 10:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymel1 View Post
Does plugging it in to shore charge the battery?
Yes, if your converter is working properly. If it has had one or both of the 30 Amp charging circuit protection fuses blown, then they will have to be replaced for it to work. If your battery went dead, blown fuses is a strong possibility.

If you have the Elixir converter, the fuses I am talking about may be sort of hidden behind the easy to get at fuse panel. They are inline fuses. I have a thread on this here: https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f28...d-repair-6454/ It shows the fuses and their location after I pulled them out from behind the fuse panel.

If you don't have an Elixir converter, then you probably still have those two 30 Amp fuses, but they may be much easier to get to.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:46 PM   #5
Site Team

I thought I posted a link to the video that explains the manual lift option. It's video #7 in Post #3 of this thread: https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49...-youtube-1233/

- Jack
Old 05-13-2022, 04:37 PM   #6
Site Team

Please don't start another thread/post on this issue. Having duplicate entries on the same issue leads to confusing responses that can waste your time or lead to extra costs to you when you try to follow them. If you have more questions on this, keep them in this thread.

Now, the manual pump, if you have it, will be part of the hydraulic pump/motor combination that is usually located in the trailer tongue and it should be accessible through the small "half door" that is the front part of the cover over the tongue. IF you have this option, you'll see a round, open, tube that you can insert anything that will work as a pump handle into. Then, you just move the handle back and forth as was shown in the video I told you about in the post above. The pump handle is often found in the front of the trailer tongue, next to the pump itself. If it is missing, you can use anything that will fit into the receptacle, such as a length of pipe or rebar.

The manual pump is an option, so it's possible you don't have it.

- Jack
Old 05-13-2022, 06:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Please don't start another thread/post on this issue. Having duplicate entries on the same issue leads to confusing responses that can waste your time or lead to extra costs to you when you try to follow them. If you have more questions on this, keep them in this thread.

Now, the manual pump, if you have it, will be part of the hydraulic pump/motor combination that is usually located in the trailer tongue and it should be accessible through the small "half door" that is the front part of the cover over the tongue. IF you have this option, you'll see a round, open, tube that you can insert anything that will work as a pump handle into. Then, you just move the handle back and forth as was shown in the video I told you about in the post above. The pump handle is often found in the front of the trailer tongue, next to the pump itself. If it is missing, you can use anything that will fit into the receptacle, such as a length of pipe or rebar.

The manual pump is an option, so it's possible you don't have it.

- Jack

Thanks for the response.

I was able to use a jack to raise the top just enough to open the battery door on the right-side of the 229L hilo 1990.
I'm attempting to charge the battery now but it's unknown if it will hold a charge. My question is, can I usemy Stanley 1000amp Jumper on the battery to raise the top of the hilo? The battery is 800 CCA.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:20 PM   #8
Site Team

You can certainly use your Stanley 1000 Amp Jump Starter to charge the battery, and, it MAY deliver enough Amperage to turn the hydraulic lift motor. 500 Amps continuous sounds to me like it would be enough to turn that motor, which is really nothing more than a car starter motor. I think it pulls in the neighborhood of 55 Amps when it's raising the top.

Give it a try. But, if your battery is not taking a charge from the converter, you have a bad battery or a fault in the converter (probably the 30 Amp fuses), or both and you need to have that/those problem(s) fixed.

AND, you need to figure out if you have the manual lift option, which would greatly simplify getting the top up in the future if this should happen again. I used mine when my trailer was new and I had a dead battery - I was easily able to get the top up far enough to run jumper cables from my truck's battery to the trailer battery and then raise it all the way. If I'd wanted to pump for longer, I could gotten the top all the way up with the manual pump.

- Jack
Old 05-14-2022, 07:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
You can certainly use your Stanley 1000 Amp Jump Starter to charge the battery, and, it MAY deliver enough Amperage to turn the hydraulic lift motor. 500 Amps continuous sounds to me like it would be enough to turn that motor, which is really nothing more than a car starter motor. I think it pulls in the neighborhood of 55 Amps when it's raising the top.

Give it a try. But, if your battery is not taking a charge from the converter, you have a bad battery or a fault in the converter (probably the 30 Amp fuses), or both and you need to have that/those problem(s) fixed.

AND, you need to figure out if you have the manual lift option, which would greatly simplify getting the top up in the future if this should happen again. I used mine when my trailer was new and I had a dead battery - I was easily able to get the top up far enough to run jumper cables from my truck's battery to the trailer battery and then raise it all the way. If I'd wanted to pump for longer, I could gotten the top all the way up with the manual pump.

- Jack
Thanks for the response.

I was able to use a jack to raise the top enough to get the battery door open. Charged the battery and got it raised without incident.

I asked about the Jumper because I was concerned about to much power and damaging the hilo.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:53 AM   #10
Site Team

You're welcome, and I'm glad you got the top up. The jump starter you proposed won't deliver too much power. It is just CAPABLE of delivering up to 1000 Amps instantly or 500 Amps for a short time, if there is a demand for it. The motor will not see that amount, but will pull what it needs.

- Jack
Old 05-14-2022, 10:56 AM   #11

Good to know. Thanks
Old 05-14-2022, 11:17 AM   #12

+1 419-886-0008

I was able to get information from this number about HiLo campers.

Just trying to be helpful