Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:25 PM   #1

Default now lowering issue

just to clarify -if the wire to the solenoid is disconneted( From the switch inside) then the trailer wont lower either, correct??

rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:58 PM   #2
Site Team

I think that's right, Rick. I believe it opens the lowering valve which then allows the top to fall. So, if that wire is disconnected, the valve should not open electrically, but it still could be opened manually if you have that option.

Are you getting a different behavior?

- Jack

Old 07-01-2021, 03:38 PM   #3

i have the option. how DO i lower it manually ? do i have to pump it down and which way do I thurn the valve? does it then just fall like a hydraulic jack?? perplexed with rturn of electical issue on rising and lowrering switch and wire and need to move it to a better place to work on it. and its in the raised position right now.

rick Flumoxed.

4x4
Old 07-01-2021, 05:36 PM   #4
Site Team

Rick, if it's not lowering electrically, you'll need to get the top off the safety bar and then someone will have to hold the safety bar retracted while you activate the manual release in front. It either turns (a knob) or it's a lever that you move backwards or forwards I think, but don't know which way.

IF, you've opened the valve already, it's dropped on the safety bar and is stuck there. You'll have to close the valve, raise the top off the bar. retract the bar and then, with the bar retracted, open the valve again. It will lower normally - it won't "crash" down.

Hope this helps.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:46 PM   #5

The valve is where it always ismeaning it is closed so I scan raise it manually. It’s a small lever like a hydraulic jack. I vget the issue about the safety bar.

4x4
Old 07-01-2021, 10:41 PM   #6
Site Team

If it's a lever, then it is moved forward or backward (one of these, or possibly up or down?) to open the valve. That simply opens the normal lowering valve manually instead of electrically and the top comes down normally (provided the safety bar is out of the way).

Sorry I'm being vague on the lever - I have the turn knob style on my trailer, and, I've never had to use it.

- Jack
Old 07-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #7

I guess it’s the turn knob. Clockwise or counterclockwise to open to lowering?

4x4
Old 07-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #8
Site Team

As I said, Rick - I've never had to use it. But - I just went down to the trailer and looked at the valve and the manual for my trailer. The manual says the knob is turned CLOCKWISE to close it (so that the top will raise and lower normally). So, the knob should be turned counterclockwise to open it for manual lowering. I tried to turn the knob by hand, but could not move it.

The knob is a round part that sticks out in front of the pump assembly, near the top and it has a smaller pin through it crosswise to form a kind of "tee". I also have a crank in the battery box that has one end that would fit over this tee, allowing me to apply great force to the knob to turn it. If you don't have this crank, I imagine a wrench might work. I would apply the crank so that I would lift it to open the valve.

- Jack
Old 07-07-2021, 06:38 PM   #9

Ok- a guy helping me where Ihave it stored has determined it is a bad solenoid. So he said I need a continuously running solenoid and local auto parts is not likely to have one, so her ordered one, but it is not in. Question, is there forum agreement on. This?

Problem is i promised to lend the trailer to my sister and her husband to stay in for a few days out on their farm while some work is do to their house. I have it inthe storage lotraised. I need to get it to them by Sunda= about 30 miles away. My work around. Plan is to lower trailer manually with the maunaual valve- haul it out thee, then use use the pump to raise it enough to get a wire across the the solenoid terminals and then raise it the rest of the way. The guys at the. Old dealer ship say this should work. They also say that local auto parts should have a solenoid. As it is just a three wire solenoid. I prefer to go with a new solenoid but I may be out of time. OPINIONS. Are welcome. HELP!! Willany solenoid work?

Rick

4x4