Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 08-31-2023, 06:59 PM   #1

Default New to using Fridge.

What is the purpose of the manual fan switch for the refrigerator on the panel next to the fridge on a 1709T? When should it be used and for how long?

EdOsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 08:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdOsmar View Post
What is the purpose of the manual fan switch for the refrigerator on the panel next to the fridge on a 1709T? When should it be used and for how long?
Hello - I think that is the refrigerator ventilation fan that sits behind the unit and pulls air in from the outer top vent (you can see it on the wall outside) and onto the cooler fins at the back of the refrigerator.

I had all of that apart earlier this summer, it is also tied (at least on my 2000) to a little temperature switch so that the fan stays off until the control panel toggle switch is set to 'on' and the temperature behind the refrigerator rises high enough to activate to then send power to the fan.

Many here have replaced that little fan back there with something more robust that pulls better air.

Also in the garage, some stuff to pull it:
1999 3/4 ton 'Burb
1993 Roadmaster wagon (well, it probably won't pull it)
r67northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 10:51 AM   #3
Site Team

Ed, I turn my fan on anytime my refrigerator is on. As stated above, it only runs when the coils that are transferring heat from inside the refrigerator to the outside have gotten to a high enough temperature. My manual says it MUST be on if you are running the refrigerator with the top lowered and the trailer is parked (like when you have stopped for lunch on a trip).

- Jack
Old 09-01-2023, 10:02 PM   #4

Hi Ed...the "refer fan" that is factory installed is anemic at best....It is very easy to upgrade the fan...I did this by getting 3 Computer Frame fans from Best Buy and installing they on a piece of angle aluminum mounted behind the upper refer vent panel...This works much better especially in a hot environment...I just wired them is parallel to the existing wires...very low amp draw...
2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Brianagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 03:31 AM   #5

I installed a single 9 inch, 2 speed fan in my old 1989 HiLo classic. I don't think they had a fridge fin cooling fan option back then, I could be wrong. Anyway, I have my fan NOT blowing air into the fridge fins, but rather exhausting and pulling the hot air out and away thru the wall vent. It would not help the fridge perform any better by pulling in hot air from outside and blowing accross the fins (at least not here in So. Cali, 95+ deg. in summer). That's why PC/Laptops have fans that exhaust hot air out of the case to keep the inside electronic compents cool. I must mention that I replaced my fridge with a small apartment size refrigerator.
Hope this helps.
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote