Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 07-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #1

Default Penguin air conditioner fan

We have a 1998 HiLo and the Dometic Penguin air conditioner won't turn on unless you start the fan by turning it by hand first. Not a good solution when camping.

Is there a source for fan motors? We've tried the internet and they show them but all are out of stock. Does anyone know if they're standard fans or if they're specific to the particular air conditioner.

Thanks

dsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:58 AM   #2

prob start capacitor

cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #3

Thanks, our son opened it up yesterday and the capacitor didn't seem to be working correctly. I'm ordering another - hope it works!
dsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:07 PM   #4

should be able to go to Elect supply/or AC Supply and get one
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:21 PM   #5
Site Team

I know very little about HVAC, but it seems odd to me that the start capacitor would keep the fan from starting. It would certainly stop the compressor from running if defective, but the fan is a fairly low Amperage device. I didn't think the fan relied on the start capacitor at all?

dsaint, I may be wrong about this too, but doesn't your A/C have a fan only setting? Have you tried that? To me, your symptom sounds like a bad fan bearing. Fan motors have very little torque and if there's any resistance to motion when they are starting, they don't turn on their own. But, if you can nudge the fan blades and start them turning, you overcome static friction and the motor's torque increases as the speed of the fan increases, above a standstill.

- Jack
Old 07-29-2021, 04:44 PM   #6

Some units have two start capacitors, one for the fan and another one for the compressor. Some unites have a three way start capacitor one half for the fan and one half for the compressor. Some units do not have a start capacitor for the fan, only for the compressor. Hopefully the wiring diagram for your unit is still visible and you can tell from there which setup you have.

Cummings Turbo Diesel
Tire Minder I10 with Sensors on the Truck , car trailer and Camper
dans is offline   Reply With Quote