Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 06-05-2021, 06:27 PM   #1

Default AC not working

I just bought a 2510. Got everything working but the AC. I noticed from the manual that it had to be plugged into a 30 amp plug so I went to a campground and double checked the campground wiring and the panel/fuses for the AC. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Dean

ldmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:06 PM   #2

Default Just a thought.

The AC cord in my 1996 is located behind the wardrobe. It has to be plugged into the interior outlet. Also taken out of the outlet before lowering. Nothing runs on this line except the AC.

Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:21 PM   #3
Site Team

There's also a dedicated Circuit Breaker on the Converter panel that is in the A/C circuit. That may be popped. Does the fan in the A/C run?

- Jack
Old 06-07-2021, 08:05 AM   #4

I would have never found the AC cord on the other side of the wardrobe if you hadn't told me. Thank you so much. It works great!
ldmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:27 PM   #5

Default Glad you get plugged into AC.

Most of the country is in the humid sweltering *.Preventive maintenance of your AC. On the inside remove the filter. I use an old tooth brush to remove dirt. This allows you to clean and replace for immediate use. Carefully climb on the roof and remove the AC shroad. DH used a AC cleaner product from Home Depot. DD works at HD and brings us useful products. Some use compressed air to blow out any dirt in the exterior AC. This also gives you a chance to inspect the roof and caulk around the exterior AC.My friends had abnormal AC noise. It turned out to be a bird nest on the exterior AC motor.
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #6

Are there some models which the AC unit does not have the extra cord/plug? I can't seem to find mine either, looked behind the wardrobe and nothing there. Mine is a 19T model from 2000.

I will try the AC unit out for the first time in two weeks at a campground with 30A receptacle. Is there anything I should look over on my AC unit before I do this?
ssheffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:11 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssheffel View Post
Are there some models which the AC unit does not have the extra cord/plug? I can't seem to find mine either, looked behind the wardrobe and nothing there. Mine is a 19T model from 2000.

I will try the AC unit out for the first time in two weeks at a campground with 30A receptacle. Is there anything I should look over on my AC unit before I do this?
The short answer to your question is "NO". Longer version: It HAS to have a heavy cord running from the lower section where the 120 V AC power comes in to the trailer from the shore power source which then connects through that cord to the Air Conditioner (A/C) unit in the top section.

Now, this cord may be hard to find, and, if your trailer is like mine, it MAY be permanently attached (hard-wired) at both ends. Mine is next to the wire bundle in the bathroom that sends DC 12 V power from the battery to all the upper half devices such as lights and fans. That wire bundle and the A/C cord cannot be concealed inside the walls, because they would not work right (if buried in the walls) as the top was raised and lowered. My trailer also has a pair of TV antenna cords that have to be attached if I want to view local TV while camping - they run the signal from the top down to the bottom half, across the trailer, and then up to the top half again on the other side where the TV is.

I suspect, though, that your A/C cord is not hard-wired. Someone with a 2000 19T would be able to tell you exactly where it is, but: Look inside cabinets near the wire bundle that you have for a heavy black wire. Also, look for a round, receptacle cover on the top half wall - the cord is either behind it or it plugs into it. If it plugs into that point, the cord will be somewhere in the lower half below it.

This is the best I can do - hoping someone else will offer more help.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
The short answer to your question is "NO". Longer version: It HAS to have a heavy cord running from the lower section where the 120 V AC power comes in to the trailer from the shore power source which then connects through that cord to the Air Conditioner (A/C) unit in the top section.

Now, this cord may be hard to find, and, if your trailer is like mine, it MAY be permanently attached (hard-wired) at both ends. Mine is next to the wire bundle in the bathroom that sends DC 12 V power from the battery to all the upper half devices such as lights and fans. That wire bundle and the A/C cord cannot be concealed inside the walls, because they would not work right (if buried in the walls) as the top was raised and lowered. My trailer also has a pair of TV antenna cords that have to be attached if I want to view local TV while camping - they run the signal from the top down to the bottom half, across the trailer, and then up to the top half again on the other side where the TV is.

I suspect, though, that your A/C cord is not hard-wired. Someone with a 2000 19T would be able to tell you exactly where it is, but: Look inside cabinets near the wire bundle that you have for a heavy black wire. Also, look for a round, receptacle cover on the top half wall - the cord is either behind it or it plugs into it. If it plugs into that point, the cord will be somewhere in the lower half below it.

This is the best I can do - hoping someone else will offer more help.

- Jack
Thanks for this reply. There was a cord with male end. Mine was above the sink/stove counter nearest the stove, where a 20A plug was mounted on the side of the camper facing the rear; on the opposite side of the trailer from the bathroom and a good distance farther from the breaker box than one would expect. Plugged it in and the AC worked like a charm!
ssheffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:18 PM   #9
Site Team

Great! Wish HiLo would have standardized that cord's location. You're not the first one who has had fun finding it!

- Jack

JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote