Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > Hi-Lo Photo Album
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hi-Lo Photo Album Post your Hi-Lo pictures here.. Show us what ya got or seen, we love looking at them!

Old 05-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #161

nice to meet you thanks for writing, that's cool as heck! they are pretty cool campers. especially that old. you do realize yer all older than the camper LOL funning ya! i'm only 3 yr's younger than mine. lol.
now does that traveler have the 2 windows on door side right?. I thought the traveler was an 18 footer. is that one the next model up or down from the voyager. I cant remember. they all are cool tho! after ya fix them LOL .
wow I wish I was closer to you, i'd do it for free. honestly just to come to California.it really is a simple job people make it out to be way harder than it is. just be sure you wrap it the correct way, and direction, be sure it's in between the spring spacing when spring is stretched. make sure it isn't binding b4 you attach permanently also that its wrapping around inside spring correctly. hold onto or pull put pressure on lift end that goes inside camper and crank it in to be sure its not hanging up anyplace. this is what gives you your down force (free Fall) for lowering, the spring unwinds, letting the cable loose. when you crank it up, you are putting force on the cables to raise the roof, which creates friction, and tension, and weight, on the cables, pulleys, and springs. make sure you put the cable clamp end under camper, on inside of the crank pulleys on the rod, run new cable towards you, meaning put new ends thru plate from opposite side facing you it only acts as a stop. and wrap spring.
wear gloves a must! pull spring out as far as it will go and wrap cable inside the spring spaces, so it looks like 1 unit. when at the end run it to or fro where ya need it.
to get correct length just cut old 1 off. cut yer new cable and get either 1/8 in cable clamps or electrical gounding clamps the electrical clamps I found work much better as they are round its a round barrel with a tightening screw. made out of heavy duty brass. there are a few more things but once you see it you'll get it done right. took me like 15-20 minutes to do 1 front one. you can get those pulleys any place. and modify them , I mean I could, if I had to. I don't know if you could tho? I just briefly glanced at mine. I have a pic on here of a place that has all the cable and stuff send them a pic see if they have 1 cheap. also replace all original outside adjusters on the camper with the long j hooks with double nuts on them. this gives you way more room for slack adjustments. don't bother with the crimper ends, and tool, swagging I believe its called. much better ,if you can afford it, but not needed, imo ,and tool ,its a waste of money, to much money.
I got almost all the staining done in the back, waiting to feel better to finish that still on crutches. also cant wait to urethane got get some 000 steel wool and go to town! good luck write back

I wanna go out to NM is where I wanna go,
I have a lot of problems right now tho.

maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:13 AM   #162

Default To Mike-maestro123

Hi Mike, thanks for the info you sent me... I wanted to send you a pic of my trailer & pulley but I don't know how to post pictures on this site.
I'm also looking for about 40' of Bulb Seal...
The Traveler is a smaller model then your Voyager... I have one window on each side toward the rear area...
The cable stuff is Greek to me... The guy that was suppose to replace my old cables with new & has... so I need to figure out how to set them up with the top... Also, my cables have worn a groove in the alum & wood? on the trailer-so I need to put some steel(?) piece to protect that area & stop it from wearing out the metal...
More tomorrow...
Take care,
-Barb-

Mtnsagegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #163

oh yeah well figure it out I wanna see the pics! I have a small groove in a couple also. not exactly sure what causes it I guess it's from going up and down so many times in all those years! lol roof weight is an issue, so is clearance, so is tightness, so is raising it to far, a lot of factors come into play on that. I forget what I did to mine to solve that. has a lot to do with the cable tension tho. and clearance also. actually its better for the cable to rub aluminum and wood than steel that will wear the cables out prematurely I would thing. idk. really you don't want it rubbing anything anywhere. oh yeah now I remember. if your top pulleys inside the camper that sit on top the ledge. If they are bent slightly backwards facing inside that brings the cable up to the top ledge of aluminum trim. you have to move them fwd again or straighten them up with a shim, if bent get them strait again, and or replace wood they are mounted to the top of the wood may be worn at an angle also. they are mounted with 2 of the screws going into that 1x4 that hides the cable slot, on the wall which ain't exactly a good set up to begin with
I don't try to be a know it all, I'm just telling you these things I know from experience of what I DID and some info may not be all that correct as compared to how some one else does it, or did it. ya know. everybody does things differently, and has different opinions, that's why we are such a developed nation. learning from each other, and sharing different points of view. have a good weekend. i'm only going by what I have discovered, and fixed on my own. I am sure there are many better faster easier ways to do it which I always look for.I usually find them too LOL. my boss at sterilite in massillon when I worked there I was an assistant supervisor. well qc went to him, he said have mike fix it. she said mike said its broke. he said well if mike said its broke , its broke, cause there ain't nothing in this shop mike can't fix!
Old 05-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #164

I think it needs a BFSH or a some C4 placed under it... howz bout the railroad????
2005retired2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #165

LOL yeah that sounds like a PLAN. may just work out. ;0 HAND GRENADE WOULD WORK ALSO! BUY SOME INSURANCE ON IT AND GO GET IT MATCH BOXED. LMAO! NO TO COOL OF A CAMPER TO DO THAT THO. SORRY caps were stuck on. two .50 cals would for sure do the trick. lmao
Old 05-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #166

barb bring your cables up the back inside of the camper there are holes in the floor for cable to go thru. run them up the wall inside of camper and then out thru the bulb hole then to the inside of the adjustment hook on the outside of the camper. leave the bolts all the way loose on yer j hooks for adjustments. tighten loosely to nuts on j hooks. so you have a little play in cable. that's what you want for adjustments when you want to level out the top fully raised. it may be 1 or 2 inches off but who cares? it still has a good roof and it isn't that noticeable unless you look for it. me i'm not that concerned with 1 or 2 inches off frnt to back ,or side to side. it wont matter. you can even improvise on bulb seals and bug protection I may just go with pool noodles now like everyone says work great. what id di wrong was cut the garage door seal in half not leaving me enough so that didn't work out so great had I left it in 1 piece it would have worked out good. but I got it cheap so no biggy just have to redo it. I have some other ideas that don't involve a bulb seal. most of mine is still intact anyways up front and on 1 back side.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:42 AM   #167

Wow! Thanks for the info Mike, I really appreciate your help! I'm so excited about getting it together... I sent for some pulleys-I think that I can make them work... I need to get a counter top for the kitchen area... (a nice gentleman gave me a stainless steel sink & cook top -Table also...+ a refrigerator & some other stuff free! I want to make a u shape bench-sleeping-eating area... Also I will have to wire it for elec-Put insulation & paneling in the top... It will really be nice when I get it finished!
More tomorrow...
-Barb-
Old 05-21-2017, 07:17 AM   #168

well lets see some picures of this vintage camper and pulleys,surely you can get them on here. I want to see it. I don't know your abilities, which I don't know what you are and aren't capable of doing yourself, sounds like a lot though. you have to tell me those things.
sounds great! free is always good. I've hardly bought anything. I get stuff real cheap from habitat for humanity home restore. contractors donate unused build in equipt. they sell it all dirt cheap.
went over today for a couple hours and recoated my stain, then had to come home take leg off for all day and night again, and wheel around in my office chair rest of day and night.
its gonna be a lot darker now than it was, I like the dark look on it. I used a rag over the brush application to get rid of some brush strokes ,its starting to take shape now. once I get the urethane on it it will be purrty. I hope. lol yeah I thought of making a u table actually. seems to me it would be much better and nicer, and give ya more room when dining etc. I got my new table I am gonna try to install. hope it will fit like I hope. even if it don't I am gonna cut the original down a little bit. and put new formica on it. still so much to do. having a hard time doing it all in my condition i'm in now. too. ttyl
Old 05-21-2017, 05:48 PM   #169

oh yeah I forgot to ask what all did you pay for that didn't get done? the guy said he would do? what all still needs done. your cables are ok and good now? top raises and lowers good? what?
Old 05-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #170

I have a great idea instead of a bulb seal. I may use foam pipe insulation and put pvc, or pex pipe inside the foam the pex flexes . be like a toilet paper roll, then make holders for the rollers for them, so it fits outside the camper , on the bottom of the top and will roll up and down with camper top. when top meets up the pipe insulation on outside will meet the gap in between the two. may work, gonna sample that idea.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #171

got some more staining done today. almost through with it.. almost ready to urethane. repainted the sink again today, taped it all off ,and gave it another light coat for now, and spray nozzle clogged on me. lol.
unless I find 20 other things to do, which I have already, lol, In the mean time. I still have much to finish up tho. can only work 2 or 3 hrs. at a time now tho. havin a hard time with my leg and all. trying to stay active is what I have to do now tho. like I said I use trial and error if it don't work, I figure out what will work, newly revised lots of new ways to do things, since 1964. lol also discovered I forgot to put screws in ceiling in that corner. I put in new 1/4 inch plyood in 4x4 pieces, in the ceiling with insulation, its not leaking , the 2x2;s aint rotted either this is in the front corner by the buckled sheet metal outside and also discovered the buckle was in there when I found it, I just forgot to put screws in or they came out I think they just pulled free from the plywood. which is a good thing. got a buddy helping but he is 6'7 290lbs and has to bend his neck to his shoulder to walk in my door lol.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:25 AM   #172

Send me your email address & I'll send you some of my pictures. My email is bjwmtnwomyn@aol.com.
Still waiting to get the pulleys (in mail)... Right now I have my trailer at a friend's shop... I live in a Mobile Home Park and have a storage spot, in the back of here, to work on it... I paid a guy $815. to replace the cables, install new insulation & new wood paneling, fix the kitchen counter top (sink, stove top & fridge) & change my bed, seating area + floor (tile) & he wanted to paint it... He did the bottom paneling & insulation... Windows out, a lot of my stuff for it missing now... He's a bum! He had it since Dec 21st 'til May 9th-had to find where he had left it... Found it & had the AAA tow it to my friends shop... So I'm having to do everything to it...
You have a bunch of great, clever ideas for your trailer!
Any way send me your email & I'll send pics...
-Barb-
Old 05-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #173

wow! so sorry to hear that Bull. I hate people like that! I hate rip offs, thieves and liars! I hope it all works out for you tho. makes me mad when I hear those kinds of things happening to good people.

hey I got SOME urethaning done today. it was very hot in there tho even running my exhaust fan off my truck inverter. now I got a headache from the urethane lol had to come home after 1hr or 2 leg bothering me bad. down to 1 crutch tho. not good tho puts to much weight on it. ttyl thanks for writing. you may not want to post yer email publicly on here. tho. thanks for the compliment altho its all trial and error . lol well found out today I need 2 operations on my stump. also just wondering you joined in 2016? oct? all yer posts keep showing up as only 6 why is that?
Old 05-24-2017, 06:34 PM   #174

found out today I need 2 stump surgeries on my residual limb. knee and bone surgery. not to happy. my urethane job turned out nice from yesterday tho to bad I wont get to use it this summer. may have to go to nursing home. see you all later thanks!!
Old 05-24-2017, 07:53 PM   #175

Wow! Sorry to hear about your surgery...Hope that they will be successful!
I joined in Oct., but never wrote anything until I saw that you had a Hi Lo the same year as mine... I guess that I was waiting until that guy got my trailer fixed so I could go camping... I'm still waiting for my pulleys-wished I had bought them somewhere instead of waiting for them in the mail... I have also been fixing a van I bought & a 1990 Toyota motor home......I'm waiting to get some extra bucks to replace the timing belt & water pump on it... It belonged to some friends of mine & hasn't been used since 2012... so i had to replace the fuel filter & fuel pump & 7 tires... On my Mazda van I replaced the radiator, timing belt & fuel pump & tires...Lot of bucks + all the bucks I lost on the Hi Lo restore... So next week, I'll list my Plymouth van for sale & with some of the money, I'll get the timing belt & water pump replaced on the Toyota... I just don't want to drive it & have the old belt break-the old belt has got to be about 5 yrs old... So I have been busy...
Take care Mike!
Old 05-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #176

I guess you one of those do it all gals. I like that!
Old 05-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #177

I luckily still have all my mounts too. I even have both the front what appear to be, oval red, original glass lens marker lights, the kind that are held on with wires around the outside rim. on front. think I am going to leave those on too.
I had bought a brand new light and wiring kit right after I found it. I installed front to back. tho new yellow back side markers, where originals were. they were very rusted out.

I got all my back benches and cupboards in the back urethened today. I only stay couple hours cause of fumes. just doin little at a time now.
finished those. haven't started up front yet tho ughhhhhhh. it isn't as bad at all tho as rear was. nice talking to you jack. hope all is well. finally posted it in the right post instead of hijacking a thread lol i'm learning I hope.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:19 PM   #178

I am having a lot of trouble relating to the hydraulic setups in these new models. I know hydraulics very well, I can read schematics, I built a log splitter form scratch,etc.

i just don't know what they all have set up, or how it is set up on all the newer older ones ,and newer ones now..
I have a hand crank lol LOL :0 I am starting to believe the hand crank is much better lol ! hydraulics is easier and way more expensive to fix, I do know that much. idk, just sayin. course that's why it costs so much more now too.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:25 PM   #179

Barb did you get your new pulleys yet? what else you got going on? how are you doing? mike
Old 05-26-2017, 02:00 AM   #180

No pulleys yet, they were sent out from Oakland, today. Perhaps, I'll have them tomorrow?
I may sell my Mazda MPV, it keeps "pushing" water out of the radiator overflow bottle. I bought it from a homeless guy for $300 it had been over heating... bought a new radiator, water pump & timing belt + two new tires & new plugs & plug wires but the water deal has me stumped. So I may list it Sat...
Heading to the mountains Sat to buy an antique dresser-walnut with white marble top. Getting it for only $40.00.
I will have to put up some boards for the pulleys... My friend reminded that we have to create a channel for the cable to slide in. The guy removed the wood that the cable pulleys are to attache to. So I've had to look at some pics to see how they are to go in the Hi Lo.
Take care Mike-Barb