Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 04-24-2024, 09:12 AM   #141

Default Happy Camper!

I know this has been covered in a different section on this sight, but for those who are following my progress, or lack of progress here, I will briefly explain my last conquest. (Even though others have explained it better and in more detail in other locations.)

After getting the four lift cables reattached and running the top up and down a couple of times, I was a little disappointed in how my "P" Bulb seal was lining up, as well as the camper top not really level at the top when raised. (Right front corner was about one inch low and the full left side was off just a little as well.) Did I get the P Bulb in the wrong place, is the 4x4 not right, wonder what I did wrong?

After thinking about it I lowered the top onto the outriggers, went to the pump and opened the Release Valve one turn.
I loaded my creeper with a light, ratchet strap, and me, and rolled back under between the two axles.

I hooked the ratchet strap to the hydraulic ram plate and over to the frame and tightened the strap until the ram was completely closed/compressed. I then unhooked the strap, and loaded everything up and rolled on out to fresh air and daylight.

I closed the Release Valve and went around to the left/driver's side axles/tires and pulled on the adjusting bolts for the cables. One was rather snug, two were loose, and the last one was real loose (like an inch of movement.) I pulled each bolt out with one hand and spun the nut tight with the other hand. Once I had all four bolts snug and unable to pull them out any farther, I stopped adjusting them.

Walked around to the camper doorway, sat down, said a prayer, and hit the lift/up button. I ran it all the way up and the safety bar clanked into place just as the pump motor started to strain. I stopped and stood up to assess the situation.

Right side, sighting both directions from the doorway, the top half 4x4 was in perfect alignment with lower half rail. The seal was snug and tight full length.

I walked around to the left side and stuck my head into the open window hole and that side was at the perfect height from front to back. Tight seal and level between the lower side rail and 4x4.

The smile that crept onto my face became huge as I realized that I had placed the seal in the correct location on the 4x4. And when raised, the lower and upper halves together look like a ledge and not a cliff.

I am pretty sure the smile was still there as I walked into the house, because my DW looked at me and asked what I was up. I explained what I did, but I think the magnitude of the situation was lost somewhere in the translation.

But actually, I'm still smiling!

Old 04-24-2024, 09:13 PM   #142
sam

Default Cable adjustment is tricky.

On our first HiLo we changed the seals. Very sure the job wasn't perfect. On our second HiLo we splurged and J&R changed the seals. We still get a small amt. of dirt after travel. Take a sharpie and mark where the nut lands on the adjustment bolt. Then if you have to adjust the cables again you have a reference point.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 07:16 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Take a sharpie and mark where the nut lands on the adjustment bolt. Then if you have to adjust the cables again you have a reference point.
Great idea Sam! I will do that!
Old 04-30-2024, 04:24 PM   #144

Hi RahnA,

Couple of questions if I can ask.

First, where did you place the new bulb seal on the 4x4? I am about to tackle replacing mine and not sure where to secure the new seal along the length of the "beam".

Second, how heavy would you say your new walls were when you installed them? I am considering doing a similar rebuild and trying to gauge how heavy the wall units are minus the windows and other trim. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input!
97towlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 04:49 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97towlite View Post
Hi RahnA,

Couple of questions if I can ask.

First, where did you place the new bulb seal on the 4x4? I am about to tackle replacing mine and not sure where to secure the new seal along the length of the "beam".

Second, how heavy would you say your new walls were when you installed them? I am considering doing a similar rebuild and trying to gauge how heavy the wall units are minus the windows and other trim. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input!
I do have a few thoughts, and some are good, some are even valid.

First, the bulb part of the seal is just below the top of the 4x4. Maybe 1/8” down, and the stapled flange of the seal is below that. Hopefully the attached picture will help.

Second, the wall with the door way cutout, I had my wife steady the wall as I picked up one side of the wall and set it on the outrigger and then did the same at the other end. My concern on that wall was that I might flex it with the opening (but it was pretty solid.)
The left side I did put it in place by myself, and picked up the wall by myself. I did do the one outrigger - two outrigger setting in place system but if I was to guess, I would say the wall was under 100 pounds. (And like you said, no windows installed, just the bare wall.)

The heaviest part of the complete wall would be the 4x4. The only thing I would possibly change if I was doing it again, I possibly would use a cedar 4x4. It is lighter the a treated 4x4, and it could potentially last longer. (Not sure about the last longer part, but if memory serves my correctly, it is lighter.)

Hope that helps you out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4361.jpg (102.7 KB, 4 views)