Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 04-07-2023, 10:33 PM   #1

Default Top half creep

A Hilo member posted an article a while back on "How to fix top half creep in your Hilo Trailer",

I was going to try the suggested procedure but I noticed that the "Manual Lowering Level" is pretty loose. I can move/wiggle this lever fairly easy. Should this lever be fairly tight and wiggle free? Is pressure escaping thru there? My top half creep is very minimal, it doesn't settle onto the safety bar until after 2-3 days. Here is a picture of the level in question.
Any help is appreciated.

Angel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manual Lowering Level.JPG (71.2 KB, 17 views)

Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 10:17 AM   #2

As far as I know it should be lowered onto the safety bar

kjf6096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 02:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjf6096 View Post
As far as I know it should be lowered onto the safety bar
NO!!! You only lower the top onto the bar momentarily to see that the bar has engaged. Then, you raise it again to the full up position and leave it there while camping. The top SHOULD NOT "rest" on the safety bar.

This is all in the manual.

- Jack
Old 04-10-2023, 07:18 PM   #4

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with that Manual Lowering Lever.
Is this some kind of port that is under pressure/pressurized?
Should it wiggle or be loose as mine is?
I would like to "Bleed" the hydraulic system to see if helps with the "slow" top half creep. I also agree that the top half should not be lowered onto the safety bar, thanks for clearing that up Jack.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:41 PM   #5
Site Team

You're welcome, Angel. My manual lowering valve is actuated by a knob, and I don't know how the lever kind should feel. Perhaps someone else might help if they see this. My guess, though, is that if the top is working properly, the looseness doesn't matter.

But, my foggy brain cells seem to remember a thread by someone not too long ago that found a problem with the lever device. I think I may have "stuck" it. I'll see if I can find it.

Yay! I found it: https://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f22...ue-fixed-7976/ Thanks to Jeanie for posting it! You may have a loose set screw inside the enclosure that if tightened, would get rid of the "wiggle".

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 11:35 PM   #6

Wow! thank you Jack for finding that thread regarding the Manual Lowering Lever. I will take that cover plate off the assembly and check to see what's going on in there and adjust it if necessary. Going camping in 2 weeks; I will post in the near future on whether the Bleeding procedure helped the slow top half creep. Thanks again.

Angel.
Old 04-13-2023, 03:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
NO!!! You only lower the top onto the bar momentarily to see that the bar has engaged. Then, you raise it again to the full up position and leave it there while camping. The top SHOULD NOT "rest" on the safety bar.

This is all in the manual.

- Jack
Jack,
I always enjoy your quick replies. I still own my 2nd 1998 26ft Classic (my second Hi Low). I have read its manual and don't recall seeing raising the unit after the safety is in place. Having rebuilt the cylinder several years ago, I can see the rational. Lower it to make sure the safety bolt is in place, raise it so you can easily disengage it. If it lowers onto the safety bolt there might be a slow leak of the fluid which might red flag a bigger problem on a road trip. Thanks for all your help to us old timers and newbies alike.
frekatram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 11:31 PM   #8
Site Team

Thanks for the kind words, frek! It's possible the "lower to check the safety bar engagement and then raise it again..." is an addition to later HiLo manuals. It's in my 2007 HiLo manual.

I think there can be possible damage to the safety bar if the heavy top continuously rests on it. The safety bar is just a device that keeps the top from falling on you if you're inside and the lift system fails. It's meant to be just that, a "failsafe".

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote