Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-28-2023, 02:29 PM   #1

Default Keep Out Mice!

My '91 sits outside for years at a time as a snug little cabin destination. One concern I had was keeping out the little critters, due to that big crack around the perimeter where top meets bottom.

Never fear! First of course, don't leave food laying out or crumbs or grease either.

But the real solution is Bounce dryer sheets. My dad taught me this as a way to stop mice, rats and squirrels from chewing up automotive under-hood wiring. This works, just weave dryer sheets into the wiring around the engine. The varmints hate that smell, and the wires will stay un-chawed.

So: I applied this experience to my Hi-Lo and stuffed the dryer sheets into the crack all the way around the trailer, from the inside. I also look for holes down low where pipes and wiring come through, such as the bathroom and kitchen, and stuff some in there.

A buddy of mine has a shiny big expensive new trailer parked about 15 yards from mine and he ALWAYS has mice. I've told him about the dryer sheets, but he has not implemented around his slides; he still has the smelly little gray bandits.

While I will not offer y'all a money back guarantee, I can tell you there's not much money to spend to try this out. One box is plenty. If you already have mice, this may not drive them out. Eliminate the unwanted tenants, then protect the trailer with this method to keep them from returning. Good luck and I hope this tip helps someone.

Capitol City Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 09:35 PM   #2

I've read about this method. I don't have a mice problem, but if I do I will for sure give this a try. I bet the inside of your trailer smells good though! haha.

Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 10:26 PM   #3
sam

Default Keeping mice out.

Thankfully i don't have a mouse problem. Was at my HiLo dealer and saw he had a good supply of cab fresh for mice. I am on another forum and read all kinds of remedies. I believe i got the name right and this works. Funny story about mice. They were coming in the church in fall and winter. DH went on the hunt for holes and filled them up with expanding foam and mouse traps. One decided to make an appearance during church service. A lady wanted to scream during the preaching. I'm sure she dug into her husbands arm. Caught something like 12 mice. I have to check my cats mouths in the fall before i let them in. Twice they brought them in. The mouse ran into the shop vac. hose. DH had eye surgery and wasn't to bend over. He grabbed the mouse by the tail and threw him out the back door. Also put the cat out. My neighbor got two cats to catch her mice that get in the house.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 04:44 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Steel wool works wonders as well.
RCREYES is online now   Reply With Quote